Guided Canoe Trip: Oxbow Lake Tour in Perry County
For this trip, we will be paddling between a series of oxbow lakes and will need to portage (walk between the lakes) at points during the day. These portages are only about 20-30 feet but can be muddy, so wear close-toed shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Oxbow lakes are past river channels that have been separated from the current channel through any number of sedimentation events. These lakes are areas that continue to hold water and are reconnected with the river after flood events. They become oases of life and Perry Lakes Park is no different. There is a vast array of insect, fish, bird, mammal, reptile, and amphibian life.
Click to Register:
How much does it cost?
We request a donation for each person over the age of 12 for the use of our boats and equipment and to cover staff time.
Requested Donation Levels:
- Donation for members: $20*
- Donation for non-members: $40 (includes membership)*
- Children under 12: No charge, but everyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
*Donation must be made at the time of reservation either online or over the phone.
Life vests are required for all participants.
Policies for Educational Outings
- You must request a reservation by clicking the links above or calling 205-322-5326 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Space on trips is given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once a trip is full, you may request to be added to a wait list and notified of cancellations.
- If you make a reservation and then discover you cannot attend, please let us know so we may offer the canoe to someone on our waiting list.
- Participants are required to follow the trip leader’s guidance regarding safety and behavior, including always wearing shoes and always wearing a life jacket (provided) when you are in a canoe and no alcohol use during the outing.
- Please be on time for departure.
- You should bring your own lunch. Remember that being outside in hot weather will require much more water than usual to keep you hydrated.
- HATS and SUNSCREEN will save you great discomfort!
- Novice paddlers are encouraged to attend a training session directed by instructors with the Birmingham Canoe Club. For additional details, see “CLASSES” button at www.birminghamcanoeclub.org.