Cahaba River Society usually offers guided canoe tours of the Cahaba River throughout the year. Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, we are unable to offer tours at this time.
Once we are able to resume canoe tours, the schedule will be posted here.
To find a spot to canoe on your own, visit the Cahaba Blueway website. You can also learn about the Cahaba lilies and find out how to visit them here.
Once our canoe tours resume, you can join us on any of our scheduled tours, which are open to the public. You can also contact us to learn about the custom tours that we offer to our partner organizations. We supply canoes, paddles, life jackets, and a uniquely-qualified naturalist with the expertise to allow you a one-of-a-kind, up-close experience with the Cahaba River.
Meanwhile, here are some tips to help you paddle safely on your own during the pandemic:
How much does it cost to go on a guided canoe tour with Cahaba River Society?
We request a donation for each person over the age of 12 for the use of our boats and equipment and to cover staff time.
Requested Donation Levels:
- Donation for members: $20*
Donation for non-members: $40 (includes membership)*
Children under 12: No charge, but everyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
*Donation must be made at the time of reservation either online or over the phone.
Life vests are required for all participants.
Policies for Educational Outings
- You must request a reservation by clicking the links above or calling 205-322-5326 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Space on trips is given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once a trip is full, you may request to be added to a wait list and notified of cancellations.
- If you make a reservation and then discover you cannot attend, please let us know so we may offer the canoe to someone on our waiting list.
- Participants are required to follow the trip leader’s guidance regarding safety and behavior, including always wearing shoes and always wearing a life jacket (provided) when you are in a canoe and no alcohol use during the outing.
- Please be on time for departure.
- You should bring your own lunch. Remember that being outside in hot weather will require much more water than usual to keep you hydrated.
- HATS and SUNSCREEN will save you great discomfort!
- Novice paddlers are encouraged to attend a training session directed by instructors with the Birmingham Canoe Club. For additional details, see “CLASSES” button at www.birminghamcanoeclub.org.