Guided Canoe Trip: Grants Mill to Old Overton
Cahaba River Society offers guided float trips on the Cahaba River. We can supply canoes, paddles, life jackets, and a naturalist with the expertise to allow you a unique, up-close experience with the Cahaba River.
Grants Mill to Old Overton is the most popular section of the Cahaba for paddling due to its beauty, ease of access, and proximity to Birmingham. For the Grants Mill to Old Overton trip, we will meet at the Grants Mill access 1.1 miles east of the Grants Mill exit off I-459 at 8:30 am. We spend 5 or 6 hours on the river and get out at the Old Overton access. We should be done by about 4:00 pm, depending on water levels.
How much does it cost?
We request a donation for each person over the age of 12 for the use of our boats and equipment and to cover staff time.
Requested Donation Levels:
- Donation for members: $20*
- Donation for non-members: $40 (includes membership)*
- Children under 12: No charge, but everyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
*Donation must be made at the time of reservation either online or over the phone.
Life vests are required for all participants.
Click here to register. One registration form must be completed for each person over the age of 12 who will attend.
Policies for Educational Outings
- You must request a reservation by clicking the links above or calling 205-322-5326 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Space on trips is given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once a trip is full, you may request to be added to a wait list and notified of cancellations.
- If you make a reservation and then discover you cannot attend, please let us know so we may offer the canoe to someone on our waiting list.
- Participants are required to follow the trip leader’s guidance regarding safety and behavior, including always wearing shoes and always wearing a life jacket (provided) when you are in a canoe and no alcohol use during the outing.
- Please be on time for departure.
- You should bring your own lunch. Remember that being outside in hot weather will require much more water than usual to keep you hydrated.
- HATS and SUNSCREEN will save you great discomfort!
- Novice paddlers are encouraged to attend a training session directed by instructors with the Birmingham Canoe Club. For additional details, see “CLASSES” button at www.birminghamcanoeclub.org.