Guided Canoe Tour: Overnight Trip in Perry County
One of the very best ways to get a feel for the nature of the Cahaba River is to spend a couple of days and a night camping on the river.
The first day is much like the Day Trips described above. But instead of crawling out of the river at the end of the day, we find a sand bar, pitch tents, cook a meal, and spend the night by a campfire. Soaking up an entirely different kind of experience on the river is great fun. You must provide your own camping gear and food.
For those who wish to caravan to Perry County from Birmingham, we will meet at 8:30 am at the Colonnade Shopping Center in front of Gold’s Gym off of Highway 280.
How much does it cost?
We request a donation for each person over the age of 12 for the use of our boats and equipment and to cover staff time.
Requested Donation Levels:
- Donation for members: $20*
- Donation for non-members: $40 (includes membership)**
- Children under 12: No charge, but everyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
*If you are a member but do not have your membership code, email [email protected] to request it.
**Donation must be made at the time of reservation either online or over the phone.
Life vests are required for all participants.
Click here to register. One registration form must be completed for each person over the age of 12 who will attend.
Policies for Educational Outings
- You must request a reservation by clicking the links above or calling 205-322-5326 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Space on trips is given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once a trip is full, you may request to be added to a wait list and notified of cancellations.
- If you make a reservation and then discover you cannot attend, please let us know so we may offer the canoe to someone on our waiting list.
- Participants are required to follow the trip leader’s guidance regarding safety and behavior, including always wearing shoes and always wearing a life jacket (provided) when you are in a canoe and no alcohol use during the outing.
- Please be on time for departure.
- You should bring your own lunch. Remember that being outside in hot weather will require much more water than usual to keep you hydrated.
- HATS and SUNSCREEN will save you great discomfort!
- Novice paddlers are encouraged to attend a training session directed by instructors with the Birmingham Canoe Club. For additional details, see “CLASSES” button at www.birminghamcanoeclub.org.