Guided Canoe Tour: Day Trip to Perry County
Online registration is now closed.
Day trips are all-day adventures to a seldom seen stretch of the Cahaba River. This trip to Perry Lakes Park in south Alabama takes us to a beautiful ox bow lake and Cyprus swamp formed by a meander in the Cahaba River. There will be ample opportunities to stop, explore, and see the sights. Staff will point out wildlife, seine for fish, and discuss the natural history of wildlife and southern rivers when the critters present themselves. It is not unusual for us to spot resident Bald eagles on these trips.
For those who wish to caravan to Perry County from Birmingham, we will meet at 8:30 am at the Colonnade Shopping Center in front of Gold’s Gym off of Highway 280.
How much does it cost?
We request a donation for each person over the age of 12 for the use of our boats and equipment and to cover staff time.
Requested Donation Levels:
- Donation for members: $20*
- Donation for non-members: $40 (includes membership)**
- Children under 12: No charge, but everyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
*If you are a member but do not have your membership code, email [email protected] to request it.
**Donation must be made at the time of reservation either online or over the phone.
Life vests are required for all participants.
Policies for Educational Outings
- You must request a reservation by clicking the links above or calling 205-322-5326 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Space on trips is given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once a trip is full, you may request to be added to a wait list and notified of cancellations.
- If you make a reservation and then discover you cannot attend, please let us know so we may offer the canoe to someone on our waiting list.
- Participants are required to follow the trip leader’s guidance regarding safety and behavior, including always wearing shoes and always wearing a life jacket (provided) when you are in a canoe and no alcohol use during the outing.
- Please be on time for departure.
- You should bring your own lunch. Remember that being outside in hot weather will require much more water than usual to keep you hydrated.
- HATS and SUNSCREEN will save you great discomfort!
- Novice paddlers are encouraged to attend a training session directed by instructors with the Birmingham Canoe Club. For additional details, see “CLASSES” button at www.birminghamcanoeclub.org.