Cahaba River Ramble Trail Race
June 9, 2018
Registration at 6:30am | Race begins at 7:30 am
Where: Cahaba National Widlife Refuge in West Blocton, AL
ABOUT THE CAHABA RIVER RAMBLE
The Cahaba River Ramble Trail Race, held each spring, includes a spectacular 5k and a 10-mile trail race along the “biological heart” of Alabama’s longest remaining free-flowing river, the Cahaba, and is the primary annual fundraiser for our CLEAN Environmental Education Program. Located in the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge while the treasured Cahaba Lilies are in full bloom, the race is certainly one of the most unique running experiences in Alabama. Last year, we hosted more than 90 runners, exposing them to the beauty and importance of the river.
In conjunction with the Ramble is our “C the River” Conservation and Education Event – a free & family-friendly series of “Education Rambles” led by some of our region’s premiere nature and wildlife experts including a nature walk and environmental education activities, along with the opportunity for you to enjoy the water and beauty of refuge. Bring your own canoe or kayak and drift amongst the gorgeous Cahaba lilies and beauty of this crown jewel of Alabama!
- CALLING All RUNNERS: Experienced trail runners will enjoy a very challenging ~10 mile course, while newcomers and youth can get their feet wet by opting for the short and flat 3.1 mile course. Bring the whole family to enjoy a day of interesting educational opportunities both during and following the races.
- CALLING All CHEERLEADERS: Support your Runner by donating directly to their fundraising page or donating directly to Cahaba River Society on their behalf! The Runner who raises the most will win our “Champion of the Cahaba” Award!
Directions to the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
- Take I-59 South from Birmingham for about 30 miles to the Hwy 5 West Blocton/Centreville exit (Exit 97).
- Hwy 5/Hwy 11 is 4-lane for about 3 miles where Hwy 5 turns abruptly south (to the left) as a 2-lane. Watch for this turn!
- Travel about 8 miles south on Hwy 5 to a blinking yellow light. Turn left (onto County Road 24) to West Blocton.
- Continue straight at the stop sign (passing West Blocton High School and West Blocton Elementary on the right) for 5 miles.
- Look for the Refuge sign on the right (not the 1st wooden sign which is a sign for the Wildlife Management, but the 2nd sign). Shortly after the sign is a dirt road on the right, River Trace, leading directly into the Refuge.
If you have any questions, please contact Race Director Casey Laycock at 205-322-5326 x 416 or [email protected]
In conjunction with the Ramble is our “C the River” Conservation and Education Event – a free & family-friendly series of “Education Rambles” led by some of our region’s premiere nature and wildlife experts including reptiles, a nature walk, and environmental education activities.